Lost in translation…
Case 1: “fluffy” and “fuzzy”
What’s up with “fuzzy”? The first option on the washing machine reads “fuzzy” the other options on the menu are all in Chinese. For no reason at all, I always wash with “fuzzy”. Naturally, “fuzzy” is also an option on Taiwanese air-conditioning units.
Then, there is fluffy. What do they think “fluffy” means? I bought a box of cereal at the local branch of a French supermarket called Carrefour. The box says in French: Muesli: “croustilant aux fruits”, and in Dutch, “krokante met fruit”. Can you guess the Chinese translation on the little label on the back? “Fluffy Muesli with Fruits”. So much confusion? Is it “krocante” or is it “fluffy”? Is it muesli or is it granola? Well, we tried it. It’s good, and it is granola AND croustilant (krokante, crunchy).
Case 2: (Poor) Donald Duck
You have probably seen in Chinese restaurants in the States that duck is always an option on the menu. Well, as expected then, in Taiwan people eat a lot of duck (as much as they eat chicken and pork, I'd guess). This picture shows how little understanding does somebody has about the American culture. I don't think they were trying to be sarcastic, they just thought that it was a good picture of a duck, and that whatever is American sells.
Case 3: Toilet Paper on the table?
So much confusion with paper! I would guess that somebody went to the west, came back with the idea of opening a new business, and due to jet-lag forgot which paper was which.
On the picture you see "bathroom paper". It's almost like Kleenex, but tougher. Then on the table, they use a roll of toilet paper...I don't have a picture at the moment, but just believe me that it's just a roll of TOILET PAPER. Now I only buy the one in the picture (you buy a huge bag with 20 or so like the package you see here) and it is good as napkins and in the bathroom (of course, there is no place in the bathroom to insert a roll of toilet paper).
Case 4: “Pontiac” and other “English names.” (written by Mike)
Everyone in Taiwan has an “English name,” even if they don’t speak English. While I can see that this might facilitate communication with the West, the liberties that Chinese-speakers take with our language is alarming. There is trans-gender naming, people named after video games, and, yes, good old American standbys such as “Pontiac.” What’s more, Taiwanese feel at perfect peace in renaming all foreigners. Mike’s official name is “Ma Ke Lin,” which, translated back to “MacLean.” It doesn’t mean anything else, and marks him as a foreigner.

