martes, 14 de septiembre de 2010

First impressions of Taiwan

It has been a month since we arrived to Taiwan, and so it seems it’s about time I put some of our experiences into writing.

HOW IS THE WEATHER?

Hot! Very hot! Humid, and as soon as the sun goes down (5:45), get ready for the mosquito war! The temperature goes down at night (i.e. from 35 to 27) but you are always sweaty and sticky. The sun is real strong. We haven’t burned, thanks God, but I have acquired quite a tan (and if I could wear a white gown like the Saudis, I would, but I’m afraid I would die of suffocation as well). Talking about the sun, the Taiwanese women (as other Asian women) want to be white, as white as possible, as tanned skin means you are a peasant, or low class. So, they use umbrellas (as parasols) AND, get this, skin whitening products! Our friend Morgan was telling us that the second most popular thing Taiwanese people buy, after electronic products, is skin whitening products. And my Uruguayan friend, on the other hand, has given me in the recent past a couple of bottles of tanning lotion! Cultural differences are very interesting.

LANGUAGE

Mike is the one learning the most, as it was expected. He tries it at bike stores, restaurants, the gym…He started a Chinese language class this week, so he’ll learn tons and fast. Iggy has Chinese at his bilingual school, although there is quite a bit of English (with a very strong Chinese accent). He also has short daily lessons at home with Mike. We hope he will pick up some. Me, I can only say hi (Nihao), how are you (Nihao ma?), thank you (Xiexie) and bye (Zaijian). I don’t think I will take any classes, as they are expensive. It’s strange not to be able to have a clue about what a sign says, as their writing is so different to Western writing.